Hi,

currently we have 50+ bloggers on our community website. We use CJBlog as the default blogcomponent and really love it.

We are currently looking at differentiating our bloggers: bloggers who contribute to our commnity by sharing their knowledge and experience in a blog and bloggers who do the same but are also actively using our platform to promote themselves and generate business.

What we want to do is have the second category of bloggers pay for using our platform as a jumping board for their own business.

We need to be able to differentiatie between the two bloggers and though of the following use case:

free blogger: will get joomla author rights and will be able to blog as he/she is currently doing. Limitation is that in the blog for them no author info will be displayed and their names will not be linked to their blog profiles.

paying bloggers: will be added to an additional group. They will get the functionality as it is currently > names linked in the article to their profile, profile page and possibility to use the author information field under the blog (where they can advertise their business as much as they want :)). membership to the group can be handled by any of the membership components (or manually via the back-end)

I think that this addition would make sence for more users of cjblog (especially those running a community / blog site where others can contribute). This change would help them to possibly make some money :)

I am looking at doing some changes for this in cjblog but was curious if maybe there is already some work on this in e.g. future versions, or if there are any other thoughs on how to add additional value to the paying bloggers.

Looking forward to your thoughts :)

regards,

Ruud.

Sharing = Caring ㋛

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Feature discussion: extra's for (paying) bloggers

by » 4 years ago

So basically you would like to restrict usage of user profile page based on ACL? Am I correct?

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/corejoomla
    If you use our extensions, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
    CjFitCjForum | Polls | Answers | Quizzes | Quotes | Surveys | GPS Tools | CjBlog

by » 4 years ago

Correct.

Restrict user profile display, restrict display of author info below article.

So giving a paying blogger some value for money (as in extra exposure possibilities)

Any ideas are welcome :)

Sharing = Caring ㋛

by » 4 years ago

• Author profile viewing capability can be added with another ACL for authors (Component ACL).
    • Restrict author info below article - this is a debatable topic whether to display or not display using same ACL.

If you use our extensions, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
    CjFitCjForum | Polls | Answers | Quizzes | Quotes | Surveys | GPS Tools | CjBlog

by » 4 years ago

Maverick wrote:
    • Author profile viewing capability can be added with another ACL for authors (Component ACL).
    • Restrict author info below article - this is a debatable topic whether to display or not display using same ACL.

What would be easiest I think is to not remove the author info box, but just not display the text in it (like when having no text in this field).

This is an example of one of bloggers who left the author field empty:

Sharing = Caring ㋛

by » 4 years ago

That could be one solution. I will add this as one of my feature list for CjBlog.

by » 4 years ago

Cool, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense :)

Sharing = Caring ㋛

by » 4 years ago

Hi Maverick,

I don't think the ACL route will work. ACL are limiting things for the visitor / logged in user, but what we want to achieve is limit things for the article author.

I have in inventarised all pages that are impacted and came up with an easy solution that will add this feature :)

Use case: if the article author is NOT member of group specified in cjblog component variable 'blogger' (configurable via back-end):

• Remove url from avatar
    • Remove url from username
    • Do not show 'About' text

The variable [blogger] defaults to Joomla group 'Author' so when not configured nothing changes :)

View                                   Avatar link | Name link | About text
    Article (content plugin) X | X | X
    Category listing (component) - | - | -
    Article listing (component) X | X | -
    User listing (component) X | X | X
    Top bloggers (module) X | - | -
    Article suggestions module (module) X | - | -
    Article suggestions plugin (plugin) X | - | -

proposed changes:

1. CjLibApi > in function getUserProfileUrl check if $userId is member of [blogger] variable. If NOT $url="#" > This small change will impact the Avatar link and Name link

2. in cjblog content plugin > add check if userid is member of [blogger] variable. if NOT set $about = "";

3. User listing (component) > same logic as #2 (content plugin)

So to sum up:

1. create new variable (type: usergrouplist) in cjblog component [blogger] (or other logical name). Set default value to 'author'

nothing changes!

2. configure new variable [logger]  to the usergrouplist that the 'pro-bloggers' are member of: nothing changes for the members of group 'pro-blogger', for authors who are NOT member of configured 'pro-blogger' group, the avatar, profile link and about text will not be shown.

Note: the user still has a profile page and will be able to enter and change profile text: nothing changes here, it is only not reachable via the avatar or user name (link). This leaves room for creative users to remember the path (url) to their profile and link that themselves somewhere. Not a big one thou.

What do you think Maverick? I could conribute and test the changes if you would like me to :)

regards,

Ruud

Sharing = Caring ㋛

by » 4 years ago

I do not understand why would we need to edit the core API for this. The author will always have access to view or edit his profile, only other users will not have unless they are having certain permission. Correct me if I am wrong.

by » 4 years ago

Hi Maverick,

What I am trying to achieve is that there are two flavors of authors: basic authors and 'pro-bloggers'.

The pro-blogger is a blogger who (in our case) is assigned to a Joomla usergroup 'problogger' via Akeeba subscriptions.

The pro-bblogger is member of Joomla group author and problogger

The basic author is only member of the Joomla group 'author'.

The basic and pro-blogger differ in cjblog functionality: although they can both blog, the problogger's avatar and username (in the different views) are linked to his profile, also will his about text show under his blogs and in the userslisting.

The basic blogger does van an avatar and username, but these are not linked to his profile. Also his about text will NOT show under the blog and in the user listings.

In the current implementation everybody is a pro-blogger.

So this is author of the displayed blog related and not related to the user who is visiting the website or the blog.

the toggle is: is the author of the blog you are reading member of the problogger group (payed blogger), then show his profile and about text. Is the author not member of this group, then do not show profile and about text.

it is also possible to not change the api, but then more files (views, modules and plugins) need to be changed.

Does this make things clearer?

By implementing this, cjblog offers a way to monitize via bloggers (buying subscriptions to showcase themselves)

Sharing = Caring ㋛

by » 4 years ago

If the pro-blogger is already assigned to a special user group, there is no additional flags needed. Here are the steps, what I understand.

1. Add additional permission setting, say Pro-Capabilities
    2. Check for this new permission on front-end when displaying profile link or author avatar or about text
    3. You can give this permission to any user group. So you can create a user group "Pro-Blogger" and allow this permission to it.

Hope I am clear.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.