We'd like to see this ...

the first  hundred or so characters of each Forum topic displayed underneath the post title, as it is done in CjForum Module

(with an ellipsis if the post has more characters than desired excerpt length...)

I thought this should be configurable in the Topics | Show Intro text  or maybe "List Layouts" config section, but no joy there.

If this can't happen 'very soon" I will need to implement it myself... would you say it's best to implement some of this as a plug-in? (A layout override works for me now with settings hardcoded there, but I'm thinking of using a plugin for backend configuration...)

Please advise, thanks!

16975_1_CJF_description-request.png (You do not have access to download this file.)
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Category lists display 'description' ( teaser) CjForum Module

by » 10 months ago

I quickly implemented this.

Added a field in the list layout parameters in administrator/components/com_cjforum/config.xml

<field name="list_show_intro" type="radio" class="btn-group btn-group-yesno" default="0" label="JGLOBAL_SHOW_INTRO_LABEL" description="JGLOBAL_SHOW_INTRO_DESC">
      <option value="1">JSHOW</option>
      <option value="0">JHIDE</option>
    </field>
    <field name="list_intro_limit" type="text" size="15" default="180" label="COM_CJFORUM_FIELD_INTRO_CHARS_LIMIT_LABEL" description="COM_CJFORUM_FIELD_INTRO_CHARS_LIMIT_DESC" />

The add the description in the topics_list.php layout file (in the layouts)

<?php if ($params->get('list_show_intro')):?>
      <div class="text-muted"><?php echo JHtml::_('string.truncate', strip_tags($item->introtext), (int) $params->get('list_intro_limit', 180));?></div>
    <?php endif;?>

For better tracking of this post, please post a feature request at https://www.corejoomla.com/suggest-an-idea.html

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/corejoomla
    If you use our extensions, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
    CjFitCjForum | Polls | Answers | Quizzes | Quotes | Surveys | GPS Tools | CjBlog

Thank you said by: rotec

• Re: Category lists display 'description' ( teaser) CjForum Module

by » 10 months ago

Thanks! now working great, I put that in the fieldset  "list_default_parameters" 

(and I added language strings for the two new constants in my language override file)

COM_CJFORUM_FIELD_INTRO_CHARS_LIMIT_LABEL="Characters to display"

COM_CJFORUM_FIELD_INTRO_CHARS_LIMIT_DESC="Select how many characters should be showing in the Topic teasers"

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.