ScreenCast Guide: Change text in Ask input box

chamberanswers
chamberanswers
  • chamberanswers
  • 13 months ago
SCREENCAST GUIDE DESCRIPTION

CHANGE TEXT IN COMMUNITY ANSWERS - example - change text in Ask input box

How to make Text string changes:

After installing Community Answers you can make changes to the text in the Community Answers language file in the Joomla language directory.

Open the language directory in the Root Server. It will be located in the Joomla directory: language

STEP 1: In the language directory look for: /public_html/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_com

STEP 2: Open the file en-GB.com_communityanswers.ini which is the Community Answers language file and find line 3 and line 53 and change the text to suit your text needs:

STEP 3: Change the text string to something that works for you. Be careful not to change anything other than the output text strings and not the labels. This is very obvious, but the video screencast below will help you to see where and how to make the changes if you are a new user.

The example shows you how and where to change the text for the Ask input box on the front page and the 2nd Ask page.

STEP 4:

TO CHANGE THE ASK INPUT TEXT:

Find Line 3:

LBL_ASK=Ask Question

Change to: LBL_ASK=Ask a Question

Fine Line 17:

TXT_NEW_QUESTION=Ask Question

Change to: TXT_NEW_QUESTION=Ask a Question

The text strings for a well written program should always be stored in the language file to allow for easy localization.

SCREENCAST SHOWING STEPS INVOLVED:
http://screencast.com/t/eJFPZNuesC

On the site I am building I changed the following text for Ask Question to"

What do you want to ask?

I also changed the Continue text for the button on the front page to Ask Now! And I also made a number of changes near the bottom of the text string list for the email notices.

NOTE: THIS TEXT IS EXPECTED TO BE CHANGED IN THE NEW UPDATE:

Like any avid supporter of CoreJoomla and loyal user of Community Answers, I know that Maverick is working on a new version of Community Answers that will change the front text to allow for more clarity. The new update is supposed to include new text strings for clarification and other important improvements in the user interface.

I requested this text change and many other text improvement changes a few weeks ago, so let your boss know the new update will come out when Maverick decides to release it to us. We are all patient to allow Maverick the time he needs to make the new update solid and vastly improved.

In the next few weeks I will post more video Screencast Guides for Core Joomla products. I very much appreciate the excellence of CoreJoomla products and want to contribute back to the Forum Community.

Hope this helps people who need assistance.

B) Randy McCallum

Access to viewing replies is restricted.
Showing 12 of 12 replies
You do not have permissions for replying to this topic.
Confirm delete? This action is irreversible and the data will be deleted permanently. Do you want to continue? Confirm Add New Delete Unpublish Cancel Import Uninstall The selected item successfully deleted.
Shondalai