Feature requests.

Category: Feature Requests & Suggestions 11 years ago
Hi Maverick,

So feature request for when you have some time, not rush :wink:

1 - Previous Poll button, like Next Poll button
2 - Ability to change tab order of author polls, feature polls ect
3 - Ability to choose colours for poll options, so graphs and pie chart reflect these colours
4 - Ablilty to "Blank vote", to see results without voting

Thanks for listerning :mrgreen:

Jason
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Feature requests.

by » 11 years ago

Wow.. that is a good list.

I will definitely take a note on this. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/corejoomla
    If you use our extensions, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
    Sociable | Surveys | 
    CjForum | Polls | Answers | Quizzes | Quotes | GPS Tools

by » 11 years ago

I have been reviewing all the posts and features and wish to add to this list. Am doing so because I think you have something here with this application.

- Allowing registered or public users to submit/create a poll is excellent. I see you have that somewhat implemented already.

- Allowing registered or public users to cast a vote. Also huge. Being able to control each poll based on public or registered only would of course be part of this.

- Have already posted this in another thread, but the ability to track a registered user's poll history. It would be important for a registered to be able to return to a site a week or a year later and see what they have cast.

-Also see that allowing anyone the ability to see results of a poll, registered, unregistered, whether they have voted or not. Very important.

- Restricting voting based on criteria. A big one would be the ability to restrict a 1 vote per IP Address, per day, per hour, per whatever. Control over this is vital. This will prevent bots from flooding a poll and slanting results. This *will* happen if the public user is allowed to vote without constraints. Guaranteed. I would work hard to at the least, establish an 'per IP' restriction. Otherwise, the efficacy of a poll machine is almost useless. Other criteria are of course, time base... e.g. start and stop times for a poll.

- Integration with application like Acajoom. Meaning, the ability to post results to registered users, or, being able to 'push' results to destination entities (if you are curious about what I have in mind for this, ask. It is a cool and useful idea). They vote, when the vote is completed, email either results, or at the very least, that a Poll has been completed and a registered voter should be notified that results are *in*. Being able to send a URL in an email to a 'results' page would be extremely powerful. Another idea would be to post poll results to a Twitter account.

- SEO. Need I say more? Being able to push metadata out to SEO would be big too.

- Moderators. The ability to set permissions so that users, other than an administrator or the creator of a Poll, can manage it. If a site creates say, 5,000 polls over the course of a year, allowing someone other than the creator to manage the Poll administration, imperative.

- A description or narrative box. Not sure how to describe this, but creating the ability to add text, and reference links, to describe a Poll. What I mean is... right now the Poll as I see it has a One line description. We need MUCH more. The ability to not just create a short narrative about the poll, but create links to other locations that may provide reference information about the poll, vital. If I am creating a poll about say, a new car, I want to not just write up more than one line about that poll, but I want the ability to link to other sites that have support information, research information, about the idea behind the poll. Need the ability to link to other sites in a description box for the poll.... really important.

These are a few things. I've spent a lot of time reviewing your app and I do think you are on to a great application. Hopefully these ideas make sense.

by » 11 years ago

First of all thank you very much for the detailed, informative and useful review. I really appreciate your feedback and here are my comments:

[quote]- Allowing registered or public users to submit/create a poll is excellent. I see you have that somewhat implemented already.[/quote]
    Yes. This is what the main goal of community polls. Ability to submit polls by any user is the main idea.

[quote]- Allowing registered or public users to cast a vote. Also huge. Being able to control each poll based on public or registered only would of course be part of this.[/quote]
    Of course, when everyone is creating polls, everyone should cast vote. And it is part of the community polls too.

[quote]- Have already posted this in another thread, but the ability to track a registered user's poll history. It would be important for a registered to be able to return to a site a week or a year later and see what they have cast.[/quote]
    This feature is going to be live in the next version. The feature development is completed.

[quote]-Also see that allowing anyone the ability to see results of a poll, registered, unregistered, whether they have voted or not. Very important.[/quote]
    This feature is also going to be live in the next version. We are currently testing this feature on our live community site at http://www.boddunan.com/polls.html . You can have a look at it and please let me know your feedback.

[quote]- Restricting voting based on criteria. A big one would be the ability to restrict a 1 vote per IP Address, per day, per hour, per whatever. Control over this is vital. This will prevent bots from flooding a poll and slanting results. This *will* happen if the public user is allowed to vote without constraints. Guaranteed. I would work hard to at the least, establish an 'per IP' restriction. Otherwise, the efficacy of a poll machine is almost useless. Other criteria are of course, time base... e.g. start and stop times for a poll.[/quote]
    I agree with you. Restriction based on IP address is a must. We already made some progress on this and are working on giving more power to administrator, whether he wants IP address based tracking or just cookie based tracking. Of course, for registered users, this doesn't matter. The only issue here is with the dynamic ip address which are hard to track as the user can restart his modem to get a new ip. Anyway it is the limitation on any web application. Please let me know if you have any alternative approach for this.

[quote]- Integration with application like Acajoom. Meaning, the ability to post results to registered users, or, being able to 'push' results to destination entities (if you are curious about what I have in mind for this, ask. It is a cool and useful idea). They vote, when the vote is completed, email either results, or at the very least, that a Poll has been completed and a registered voter should be notified that results are *in*. Being able to send a URL in an email to a 'results' page would be extremely powerful. Another idea would be to post poll results to a Twitter account.[/quote]
    Excellent idea. I will put this in the dev queue.
    One question: When would you think the results shall be sent to the user through mail? I mean if the user doesn't select the poll closing date, it will be forever. So there should be some date where the results shall be posted to the users.

[quote]- SEO. Need I say more? Being able to push metadata out to SEO would be big too.[/quote]
    Yes. This is a must have feature. And you might already know that all urls of community polls are SEO friendly :) .

[quote]- Moderators. The ability to set permissions so that users, other than an administrator or the creator of a Poll, can manage it. If a site creates say, 5,000 polls over the course of a year, allowing someone other than the creator to manage the Poll administration, imperative.[/quote]
    This is another good idea. Currently the super administrators/administrator/moderators have the ability to publish poll or mark as featured poll. Giving the roles to front-end users is a good idea. Will take this to the development.

[quote]- A description or narrative box. Not sure how to describe this, but creating the ability to add text, and reference links, to describe a Poll. What I mean is... right now the Poll as I see it has a One line description. We need MUCH more. The ability to not just create a short narrative about the poll, but create links to other locations that may provide reference information about the poll, vital. If I am creating a poll about say, a new car, I want to not just write up more than one line about that poll, but I want the ability to link to other sites that have support information, research information, about the idea behind the poll. Need the ability to link to other sites in a description box for the poll.... really important.[/quote]
    Did you mean, the user should be able to post hyperlinks in the description box like the forums having BBCode support? Or do you mean the description box should by WYSIWYG compatible?

And finally many more thanks for your feedback.

If you use our extensions, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
    Sociable | Surveys | 

by » 11 years ago

First of all thank you very much for the detailed, informative and useful review. I really appreciate your feedback and here are my comments:

drh> Excellent. An extremely fast response. This is really most excellent.

[quote]- Allowing registered or public users to submit/create a poll is excellent. I see you have that somewhat implemented already.

Yes. This is what the main goal of community polls. Ability to submit polls by any user is the main idea.

drh> This is of course an excellent feature. Well done.

[quote]- Allowing registered or public users to cast a vote. Also huge. Being able to control each poll based on public or registered only would of course be part of this.[/quote]
    Of course, when everyone is creating polls, everyone should cast vote. And it is part of the community polls too.

drh> Also, well thought out core feature.

[quote]- Have already posted this in another thread, but the ability to track a registered user's poll history. It would be important for a registered to be able to return to a site a week or a year later and see what they have cast.[/quote]
    This feature is going to be live in the next version. The feature development is completed.

drh> This just keeps getting better and better as I read your responses.

[quote]-Also see that allowing anyone the ability to see results of a poll, registered, unregistered, whether they have voted or not. Very important.[/quote]
    This feature is also going to be live in the next version. We are currently testing this feature on our live community site at http://www.boddunan.com/polls.html . You can have a look at it and please let me know your feedback.

drh> Will do. Will look at the test version and respond back...

[quote]- Restricting voting based on criteria. A big one would be the ability to restrict a 1 vote per IP Address, per day, per hour, per whatever. Control over this is vital. This will prevent bots from flooding a poll and slanting results. This *will* happen if the public user is allowed to vote without constraints. Guaranteed. I would work hard to at the least, establish an 'per IP' restriction. Otherwise, the efficacy of a poll machine is almost useless. Other criteria are of course, time base... e.g. start and stop times for a poll.[/quote]
    I agree with you. Restriction based on IP address is a must. We already made some progress on this and are working on giving more power to administrator, whether he wants IP address based tracking or just cookie based tracking. Of course, for registered users, this doesn't matter. The only issue here is with the dynamic ip address which are hard to track as the user can restart his modem to get a new ip. Anyway it is the limitation on any web application. Please let me know if you have any alternative approach for this.

drh> I don't think there is much to be done beyond the 'registered' vs 'IP based' vs 'a free for all where bots could poison results. The dynamic IP issues to me is not worth trying to overengineer, for if someone wants to restart their system enough times to influence a poll, then an administrator could simply issues a 'registered only' poll to stop the attempted flooding. I just don't think it is worth trying to overengineer beyond the IP based restriction. My $0.02.

[quote]- Integration with application like Acajoom. Meaning, the ability to post results to registered users, or, being able to 'push' results to destination entities (if you are curious about what I have in mind for this, ask. It is a cool and useful idea). They vote, when the vote is completed, email either results, or at the very least, that a Poll has been completed and a registered voter should be notified that results are *in*. Being able to send a URL in an email to a 'results' page would be extremely powerful. Another idea would be to post poll results to a Twitter account.[/quote]
    Excellent idea. I will put this in the dev queue.
    One question: When would you think the results shall be sent to the user through mail? I mean if the user doesn't select the poll closing date, it will be forever. So there should be some date where the results shall be posted to the users.

drh> Ah, this is one of the BIG features that pull people back to a site. Notifications. So yes and yes to your further ideas. Meaning, not just a 'notification' back to a registered user (who will have had to issue an email addr in the first place) on completion of 'timed' poll, but to add the additional feature of reminding a registered user of open ended polls, and mebbe, "Do they want to be notified periodically of the results", or "notified based on set parameters, like once a day, once a week, once a month." Man, that could open up a can of feature worms, but I do feel notification features are very important. Here is an added aspect to this... being able to forward results, or how about just a URL to the pie or graph chart output of the results of a poll, to 'other users', like a list of people you want to see the results of a poll that YOU voted in. There is a reason for this which I can explain further, in a private post if you like. Too long to detail here. But one of the things that will make your application really valuable is not just allowing people to vote on polls, plus create polls (huge deal in my opinion and why I am really liking what I see), but any application that pulls people back to a site is really valuable to a moderator/owner/administrator. If your application draws, entices, pulls people BACK to the site, for whatever reason, whether it be to show the results of a poll which to me is the most obvious main feature, or to periodically show the results of open ended polls, or... being able to forward the results of the poll to 'other' people, which is why I mentioned Acajoom where people could opt in or out or announcements, while I know this is a chunk of coding, what you would be doing is creating a mechanism to draw people into, or back into, the site. And this Maverick, is a big hairy deal to people who create this sites... to get users BACK to their site for more and more. The notification aspect of this would make your application a pretty spiffy application that does just that, imo.

[quote]- SEO. Need I say more? Being able to push metadata out to SEO would be big too.[/quote]
    Yes. This is a must have feature. And you might already know that all urls of community polls are SEO friendly :) .

drh> Acknowledged. A no brainer.

[quote]- Moderators. The ability to set permissions so that users, other than an administrator or the creator of a Poll, can manage it. If a site creates say, 5,000 polls over the course of a year, allowing someone other than the creator to manage the Poll administration, imperative.[/quote]
    This is another good idea. Currently the super administrators/administrator/moderators have the ability to publish poll or mark as featured poll. Giving the roles to front-end users is a good idea. Will take this to the development.

drh> Yessir.

[quote]- A description or narrative box. Not sure how to describe this, but creating the ability to add text, and reference links, to describe a Poll. What I mean is... right now the Poll as I see it has a One line description. We need MUCH more. The ability to not just create a short narrative about the poll, but create links to other locations that may provide reference information about the poll, vital. If I am creating a poll about say, a new car, I want to not just write up more than one line about that poll, but I want the ability to link to other sites that have support information, research information, about the idea behind the poll. Need the ability to link to other sites in a description box for the poll.... really important.[/quote]
    Did you mean, the user should be able to post hyperlinks in the description box like the forums having BBCode support? Or do you mean the description box should by WYSIWYG compatible?

drh> I would suggest, both. But BBCode is easier to implement. The simple idea is... say one creates a Poll. A description box would allow not just text, and highlighted text via BBCode, but the ability to add at the least, hyperlinks. WYSIWYG would be cool. But the more important this is, instead of writing up a huge amount of text descriptions, it is often a lot easier to just point to existing sites that flush out data, info, research. Say I want to create a poll about Politician X, or TV Show Y. Instead of having to type up a lot of explanatory text, I could say, point a URL to another site that expands on Politician X or TV Show Y, without me having to add a lot of text to the Description box. Saves a time, for the author of the poll, and the user so they don't have to wade through too much stuff on the screen.

And finally many more thanks for your feedback.[/quote]

drh> Hey Mav, I really think you have something here. I've been doing this stuff for a long time, but a truly elegant and feature rich Poll machine for Joomla would be freaking cool. I think you would draw a lot of attention to this. I am really impressed with the speed and time you took for your response. I am in the midst of evaluating different components for a site I an genning up, but your response moved your application to the top of the heap. I will be eval-ing for a couple or so more days. It appears you are committed to developing this out and as such, in a couple or so days, once done with evals, I will purchase a license certainly. Your Community Polls stock went way up. And interestingly, I have also been assisting some museums and your Article apps may end up also being of important too! Pretty cool. Me like.

by » 11 years ago

Thank you drh for appreciating my work and your interest in corejoomla products.

Sociable | Surveys | 

by » 11 years ago

Well, as indicated, I believe you really have something here. It is of course a lot of work. But this is one of those applications that I feel can bear fruit for you. I have several elements that I am eval-ing and also as mentioned, CP shot to the top of my list. I am reviewing other CMS' and other apps to see how best to bolt together what I am building, but CP and your responsiveness have swayed the needle heavily towards Joomla/CP/+other apps.

Thank you drh for appreciating my work and your interest in corejoomla products.

by » 11 years ago

The credit goes to Joomla. It is the most user friendly/feature rich and its easily extendability makes it the top CMS out of the market. And I am sure it will go to rocket skies when the new version of Joomla releases this year.

And you have chosen the right CMS for your apps. Give it a try and you will love it.

Sociable | Surveys | 

by » 11 years ago

Agree 1000% with below.

But I should add, when developers as yourself come along and embrace the APIs, and advance applications like CP, this is why folks like me can get to a short list of apps.

If you are interested, I can PM what I am working towards. It all came together recently, and is why I am rooting around for a polling system with reasonable features that can make it work. I do not suggest features that just benefit what I am trying to do... but I am very cognizant of having features be for the greater good as well... not the least of which being it must benefit the developer. That be you....

The credit goes to Joomla. It is the most user friendly/feature rich and its easily extendability makes it the top CMS out of the market. And I am sure it will go to rocket skies when the new version of Joomla releases this year.

And you have chosen the right CMS for your apps. Give it a try and you will love it.

by » 11 years ago

Sure. Please send me the PM.

Sociable | Surveys | 

by » 11 years ago

Will do. But, I have just spent time on your http://www.boddunan.com site. Fantastic Maverick. You have a LOT of Polls that you have running already. Very cool.

For starters, it is partly thanks to Joomla... but being able to sort through Polls based on Categories, but then by the Author/Creator too, and then by All Polls from UserXVZ or Author Polls, and then... Featured Polls, Related Polls, Latest Polls, etc..... this behavior and navigation is really nice. Just having the ability to sort and navigate on this is most excellent.

I will PM a couple of additional things, but you really have a site with very good behaviors and navigation. Well done. This was not my original intent, but seeing the focus towards article ideas and submission, well, this is also right up something else I am assisting with in terms of museums. The more time I review, the more I like.

Again, am in Eval mode for the next few days, but Mav, your site and responsiveness has totally shot to the top. I need to go through these Evals, but hey... well done.

Sure. Please send me the PM.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.