Menu and New Install Questions

Category: Sociable 3 months ago

Excuse my ignorance as I am a relative newbie to Joomla but a longtime IT professional ...

I have done a fresh new install of Sociable along with CjLib and other corejoomla products such as CjForum, Questions, Answers, etc (all are the latest versions).  I'm now trying to configure things and am a bit stumped on creating a menu and the default configurations. I've read all the wiki material and forum posts for most of the products.

1. How do I create the menu items to point to the "frontend" of Sociable?  I.e. what is the proper configuration of a menu item - e.g. to what do I point the menu item - I can't see anything in the Sociable component, modules, or plugins that looks like it be the main Sociable executable. (my ignorance here shows - there is no php or html file that is the obvious front door to Sociable).

2. Is there any documentation as to the default out-of-the-box setup of Sociable?  I.e. What if anything is installed in the way of profiles, groups, activities, etc?  I can't figure out if what I'm seeing on my site is what I should expect to see (no default profile, group, activity).

3. If I am installing a bunch of corejoomla extensions what is the preferred install order?  I installed Sociable first, then CjLib (though I gather Sociable should have installed that), then CjForum, then other corejoomla extensions.  Because I don't know the answer to Question 2 I don't know if my installations are correct.  I didn't get any errors ...

4. Is there a preferred or recommended template for use with Sociable?  I'm spinning up a brand new community website for our rural community where I live so I'm not wedded to any particular template yet and am more worried about functionality for users rather than the look and feel of the template.  Should I stick to the default Bootstrap stuff (2, 3, or 4) and/or the default Joomla 3.9 templates, or some other template that works well with Sociable and the other corejoomla stuff.  The only additional stuff I might add to the site is a calendar (JCal Pro) and perhaps a Gallery extension if the offerings in Sociable aren't enough.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. I have looked through the demo site but not enough of the Admin options are exposed for me to tell if I'm doing things correctly.

Jeff

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Menu and New Install Questions

by » 3 months ago

1. Please see below the documentation on how to create the menu and add menu items to it.

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Adding_a_new_menu

You need to create menu items for all menu types under the Sociable group. For this, first, create a new Menus by following the above documentation. Then add menu items for all Sociable menu items in that menu (see pic 1).

sociable menu types

Once you add the menu items, you can publish your menus using a menu module or add a shortcut to one of the menu. 

Please refer to Sociable Menus on the demo site:

sociable menu items

The parent-child structure maintained so that all Sociable URLs will have an appropriate URL structure.

Then in the Main Menu, a new Menu Alias type menu item is created to link the Sociable menu item.

menu alias type

2. Go Components -> Sociable -> Activities -> Click Scan Rules button. This will install all activity rules, badge rules and points rules available across your installed extensions and default settings applied. Default profile will be created when you install Sociable. You can create additional field groups and fields based on your need. Or you can create additional profiles.

3. CjLib component should be installed first. All extensions will automatically try to download and install CjLib component. All others can be installed in any order.

4. There is no preferred template. Any bootstrap based template should work fine. Please see some of our template partners.

https://www.corejoomla.com/partners

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/corejoomla
    If you use our extensions, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
    Sociable | Surveys | 
    CjForum | Polls | Answers | Quizzes | Quotes | GPS ToolsCjFit | CjBlog

by » 3 months ago

Perfect - thanks for the comprehensive answers!  The more I delve into Joomla the more I like it but I was getting a bit confused regarding menus and menu items.  Your explanations have resolved the confusion.

Thanks again.

by » 3 months ago

Unfortunately I am still having issues.  I completely uninstalled all corejoomla extensions, uninstalled unnecessary templates and plugins, deleted leftover files, and even removed database tables and fields remaining after the uninstallations.  I then reinstalled the corejoomla extensions, starting with CjLib, then CjForum, etc, ending with Sociable.  I still have the same issues:

1. The Profile tab of Sociable in Global Config is blank - nothing, nada, completely blank

2. Login is weird - I've synced Users in Sociable and CjForum, but everytime I login I get a message from Sociable that the User account and password is wrong or no account exists along with the Sociable Welcome content with the Sociable login/password/create account fields.

I did have Community Builder installed but uninstalled it before I originally installed the corejoomla extensions.  I also removed all evidence of other extensions and templates that I had uninstalled in the course of setting up the website (modules, plugins, components, database tables, files, etc)

BTW I uninstall via the packages and not by individual bits and pieces of extensions unless there are leftovers after package uninstall.

At this point I'm rather stumped and may just revert to blowing away the entire site and starting with a fresh install of Joomla etc.  That's fine since this is a new site not yet in production - and it will fix any unintended issues that resulted from my willy-nilly approach as a Joomla newbie.

Thanks.

by » one month ago

Please send me your website and admin user details via contact us form (with a fresh Joomla installation) and I will set up components for you. You can take a backup and customize it from thereon.

btw.. I am preparing a starter pack with all extensions preinstalled.

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/corejoomla
    If you use our extensions, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
    Sociable | Surveys | 
    CjForum | Polls | Answers | Quizzes | Quotes | GPS ToolsCjFit | CjBlog

by » one month ago

In the end I did blow away the site and started over again with a fresh default install of Joomla.  I am now installing each of the corejoomla extensions one at a time and making sure each one works before I move on to the next.  So far I've done CjLib, Sociable, and CjForum with no issues except that the Profile tab in Global Config - Sociable is still blank (weird).  The only thing I installed other than the above is SP Page Builder Pro but haven't configured anything with it yet.  For the time being I'm using the default Protostar template until I get everything working properly - then I might worry about beautifying the site.

I'll create an admin account for you and send you the details as requested. If you have the time to install and do a base configuration of the corejoomla products except for CjFit and Lotus which I won't be using that would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not sure if I need CjBlog or not - it seems to be an older product.

Thanks for your help!

by » one month ago

Just to close the loop for readers - after working with Maverick it turned out to be a case of "My Bad"! The actual issue was with the uBlock Origen plugin in Firefox - specifically the use of the Fanboy Annoyance list which includes various strings with the word "Sociable" which in turn blocked the Global Config - Sociable - Profile tab.

There are no issues with any of the corejoomla extensions - and in fact the more I work with them the more little feature treasures I uncover ... a joy to work with such professionally crafted extensions after some of the "dogs" I investigated.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.